Hornets Pull Away In Second Half
The Stillwater Pioneers started off the night strong versus the Booker T. Washington Hornets.
The Hornets took the lead in the first quarter, but the Pioneers evened the score with a play of their own. Logan Anderson
blocked a punt and Marlin McDonald returned the ball for a 35-yard touchdown.
"I ran the gap and nobody blocked me," Anderson said. "I hit it and looked up and Marlin had it. He took it and I ran with him to
The Hornets scored once more in the first quarter before giving the ball to the Pioneers on a fumble recovered by McDonald. In
the Pioneers' following drive, Brandon Prather caught a 36-yard pass.
These plays gave the Pioneers the drive they needed to even up the score at 13 before halftime with a Cameron Mayberry 1-yard
"The offensive line gave Braxton (Noble) a lot of time back there and the running backs were doing their things as well," Jon Littell
The Pioneers struggled to regain momentum after the first half. Quarterback Braxton Noble left the game injured with 10:26 left in
the third quarter. After that, the Hornets controlled the game, scoring 28 unanswered points in the second half.
"First half we hung with them," Littell said. "We just didn't execute out in the second half. In the second half we have to come out
with the same energy level."
Missed tackles were a key factor in tonight's loss. The Pioneers will continue to practice this skill in order to improve for their
"We've been practicing tackling a lot," Anderson said, "We had mental mistakes tonight. We beat ourselves."
Although the Pioneers struggled to make tackles, special teams made more than one significant play tonight. Head coach
Tucker Barnard was proud of one particular play by the special teams.
"We did a good job on that blocked punt," Barnard said. "It's a punt block that we work everyday. That worked out well for us."
The Pioneers fell to the Hornets 41-13.
"We've just got to get back to work," Littell said. "It's going to take a lot to get us back to where we want to be but we're going to
continue to work and continue to get back to doing the little things."
The Pioneers will look to get back on track next Thursday on the road at Bartlesville.
- Block punt returned for touchdown. Second touchdown on special teams this season.
- Two special team blocks in the game
- Brandon Prather went to state his freshman year in the long jump
- 13-6 Booker T. Washington at end of first quarter
- 13-13 at halftime first time this season the Pioneers have gone into halftime tied
- The Pioneers scored 13 points in the first half last year when it played Booker T. Washington
- Booker T. Washington had two touchdowns called back because of penalty
- 27-13 at the end of the third quarter for Booker T. Washington
- Stillwater is now (0-2) versus Booker T. Washington all time
- Booker T. Washington win 41-13